Labels

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Dilip 7

...India is a failed state because justice hasn't worked here

Yes & no.

Justice failed in numerous cases, but it has worked in many! India's constantly improved its literacy rate, average life span, infant mortality rate, per capita income, etc. India has also improved its ranking on Human development index. This shows India is on an average improving at faster rate than other countries. Of course, it is no excuse to not keep on improving on all counts, but still it must be specified India is failing in comparison to which country & by what margin.

Coming to last part of this commentathon, I've never opposed your raising voice. But for reasons I pointed out, it's unlikely to work. Moreover, the content (& amplitude) of my voice is different. :)

In a way I'm very disturbed how not just Indian society but whole world is (turning out to be), but I can't help that I tend to focus on the underlying psychological & socioeconomic causes as compared to their overt manifestations (the various ways in which the Indian state fails). Because lowest common denominator in a society are the individuals, in my very limited sphere of influence I try to bring few ideas to their notice. I try to make people see the world in a way, which I feel would improve all our lives.

I truly feel the current crop of adults is irreparable. Honest introspection & rational thinking both are vital to understand how we ourselves have created problems India is faced with. Understanding our biases, motivations, fears, insecurities, are very important to be able to tackle them or alternatively, use them wisely. It is also important to convince people that doing so will actually improve their lives. But people also do not like to hear they are wrong (including myself). They have to be told noncondescendingly as to they are wrong & why so. But for all that to happen we'll have to evolve a society that respects intelligence, honesty, sincerity, committment more than wealth, style, or perceived power. I see on TV, one who insults others most scathingly is seen as a hero. This is worship of abuse & power. Should we be suprised by kind of adults this will create?

Hence, I hope my understanding of problems would lead a few I interact with to raise at least their kids sensibly!

But there's only so much I can do, & to escape feeling of helplessness apathy becomes a good defense mechanism.

I won't repeat all this to you. Take care. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment